August 2020 – we are pleased to announce the launch of Construction Investigation Group Services Ltd., trading as CIG Services.
We invite you to meet our team, view our services and subscribe to our mailing list!
The formation of CIG Services follows the widely acclaimed publication of
“Global Construction Success”
40% purchase discount available in 2020 on
Written & Edited by Charles O’Neil, with 17 industry leaders
“A unique book …… a very practical book …… identifying the behaviours and processes that result in successful projects …… has something of importance for all the stakeholders”“What is the most common cause for projects to fail? ….. it all comes back to senior management ….. and business models ….. the buck stops there ….. people are the problem, not the project management processes ….. risk management is poorly understood and badly used”
“An important new publication that highlights poor management as the root cause of problems in the construction industry – and how we might put things right – Charles O’Neil doesn’t pull his punches when describing the problems faced by the industry”
Charles O’Neil – Risk Management, PPP & ADR highlights
Click “Our Team & Contacts” above to view my CV and ADR experience
- 2019 – London – Guangxi China delegation of 35 PPP investors – I presented a day of lectures and case studies on infrastructures investment due diligence and risk management
- Kingston University London – at the invitation of Dr Behrouz Zafari, Faculty Director, I presented 12 hours of lectures to The Masters of Civil Engineering class of 80 students on risk management for major infrastructure projects, with good and bad case studies. Also in 2016, 2017 and 2018 – Course Outline
- 2018 – New Zealand – appointed to the Accelerated Disputes Panel for the Puhoi to Warkworth Motorway PP
- The Construction Law Journal (U.K.) Vol. 33 (2017) published “The Duties and Responsibilities of Expert Witnesses” by Charles O’Neil http://www.sweetandmaxwell.co.uk/our-businesses/docdel.aspx. Also published in the ACICA Review (The Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration) https://acica.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/ACICA-Review-June-2017.pdf And in the Spring Edition of the Jams International Newsletter in the United States
- 2017 – Oxford University – I provided a day of lectures and case studies on PPPs to a delegation of senior managers from the Bank of Guangzhou. The content included: risk allocation principles, viability analysis and bank due diligence; managing different stages of PPPs, key factors for successful PPPs, resolving issues and disputes
- Middlesex University – webinar – I was a guest participant on “BIM technology and its application to risk management” – invited by Dr Noha Saleeb, MSc Building Information Modelling Management, School of Science & Technology
- Melbourne University Law School – at the invitation of Matthew Bell, Co-Director of Studies, I provided a session on ‘good and bad’ case studies of international projects to the Masters of Construction Law class. Also in 2016.
- 2016 – Beijing Arbitration Commission – panellist at the BAC London Summit and spoke on “Implementing PPPs successfully – including areas of risk with potential for dispute or failure”
- Beijing Arbitration Commission – appointed to a sub-committee to review the BAC Dispute Board Rules
- UK – Mersey Gateway Bridge – appointed to the Construction Panel (DAB)
- 2015 – Stanford University’s Masters of Civil Engineering and Global Projects Centre – guest lectured on my recently published book “Human Dynamics in Construction Risk Management”. Professor Gary Griggs commented that the sessions were of great value in understanding new and innovative approaches to project management and the role of human dynamics in risk management.
- 2014 – Gautrain Rapid Transit PPP Project South Africa – appointed as an independent expert to undertake an analysis and interpretation of the terms of the PPP Agreement in respect of a delay and disruption costs claim under arbitration.
- Houston, U.S.A. – adviser on risk management processes for an EPC company in the oil, gas and petrochemical industry.
- ResoLex Holdings UK – appointed to the Advisory Panel on risk management and dispute resolution on construction projects.
- Port of Brisbane construction dispute – represented a sub-contractor in successfully obtaining a disputed payment from a head contractor, invoking the “Queensland Building and Construction Industry Payments Act 2004″.
- CIARB Presidential Property Dispute Panel – appointed to the UK Panel.
- 2012-13 – appointed by an East African Government as independent negotiator for the settlement of multiple construction disputes between the gov’t and two foreign contractors. As part of this process, I wrote six Expert Opinions on specific areas of interpretation and application of the amended FIDIC Contract. These Opinions were reviewed and accepted by the international law firms for the three parties to the negotiations. The Opinions formed the basis for settling many of the claims.
- 2011 – London Olympic Park – engaged in a team of three to undertake an independent review of the design and construction of the district energy supply and distribution contract at Olympic Park
- Margins are razor thin, competition is fierce
- Too many contractors are going bust
- Too many projects are incurring big losses
With Specialist Articles by 12 Industry Leaders